This application is no longer available for completion online.
Submission Deadline

May 15, 2024

Logo of Duke Summer Session

Languages for Reading Purposes - External Application (non-Duke)

The deadline for this application is 11:59 pm, May 15, 2024 ET

Develop reading skills in French or German. These 8-week non-credit online courses are intended for graduate students and other researchers who need to consult texts in French or German and/or who need to satisfy reading knowledge requirements for graduate and professional programs.


  • May 15- June 27 (Course Meetings)
  • July 1 – July 12 (Individualized Project)

Weekly online meetings: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 4:30 – 6:00 PM ET

Format: Synchronous, online

Cost: $650.00 per course, plus materials

Tuition Incentive Program: In cases where Duke Departments agree to pay 30% ($195) of the cost of a Language for Reading Purposes course for a Duke graduate student, the Graduate School will pay the remaining 70%. Departments agree to this payment apportionment via the signature of the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS), requested below.

Cancellation policy: To receive a full refund you must cancel your registration prior to 5:00 pm on May 14, 2024.

Required fields are indicated by .